This is a reading list of material relevant to Rust. It includes prior research that has - at one time or another - influenced the design of Rust, as well as publications about Rust.
- Region based memory management in Cyclone
- Safe manual memory management in Cyclone
- Typeclasses: making ad-hoc polymorphism less ad hoc
- Macros that work together
- Traits: composable units of behavior
- Alias burying - We tried something similar and abandoned it.
- External uniqueness is unique enough
- Uniqueness and Reference Immutability for Safe Parallelism
- Region Based Memory Management
- Singularity: rethinking the software stack
- Language support for fast and reliable message passing in singularity OS
- Scheduling multithreaded computations by work stealing
- Thread scheduling for multiprogramming multiprocessors
- The data locality of work stealing
- Dynamic circular work stealing deque - The Chase/Lev deque
- Work-first and help-first scheduling policies for async-finish task parallelism - More general than fully-strict work stealing
- A Java fork/join calamity - critique of Java’s fork/join library, particularly its application of work stealing to non-strict computation
- Scheduling techniques for concurrent systems
- Contention aware scheduling
- Balanced work stealing for time-sharing multicores
- Three layer cake for shared-memory programming
- Non-blocking steal-half work queues
- Reagents: expressing and composing fine-grained concurrency
- Algorithms for scalable synchronization of shared-memory multiprocessors
- Epoch-based reclamation.
- Crash-only software
- Composing High-Performance Memory Allocators
- Reconsidering Custom Memory Allocation
Papers about Rust
- GPU Programming in Rust: Implementing High Level Abstractions in a Systems Level Language. Early GPU work by Eric Holk.
- Parallel closures: a new twist on an old
- not exactly about Rust, but by nmatsakis
- Patina: A Formalization of the Rust Programming Language. Early formalization of a subset of the type system, by Eric Reed.
- Experience Report: Developing the Servo Web Browser Engine using Rust. By Lars Bergstrom.
- Implementing a Generic Radix Trie in Rust. Undergrad paper by Michael Sproul.
- Reenix: Implementing a Unix-Like Operating System in Rust. Undergrad paper by Alex Light.
- Evaluation of performance and productivity metrics of potential programming languages in the HPC environment. Bachelor’s thesis by Florian Wilkens. Compares C, Go and Rust.
- Nom, a byte oriented, streaming, zero copy, parser combinators library in Rust. By Geoffroy Couprie, research for VLC.
- Graph-Based Higher-Order Intermediate Representation. An experimental IR implemented in Impala, a Rust-like language.
- Code Refinement of Stencil Codes. Another paper using Impala.
- Parallelization in Rust with fork-join and friends. Linus Farnstrand’s master’s thesis.
- Session Types for Rust. Philip Munksgaard’s master’s thesis. Research for Servo.
- Ownership is Theft: Experiences Building an Embedded OS in Rust - Amit Levy, et. al.
- You can’t spell trust without Rust. Alexis Beingessner’s master’s thesis.
- Rust-Bio: a fast and safe bioinformatics library. Johannes Köster
- Safe, Correct, and Fast Low-Level Networking. Robert Clipsham’s master’s thesis.
- Formalizing Rust traits. Jonatan Milewski’s master’s thesis.
- Rust as a Language for High Performance GC Implementation
- Simple Verification of Rust Programs via Functional Purification. Sebastian Ullrich’s master’s thesis.
- Writing parsers like it is 2017 Pierre Chifflier and Geoffroy Couprie for the Langsec Workshop
- The Case for Writing a Kernel in Rust